As consultant nutritionist to ITV Lorraine show’s Little Black Dress Diet with Dannii Minogue, Lisa Faulkner and Jane Wake, I thought I’d share some tricks on how to stay focussed while you’re out partying the night away.
- Eat before you go to the party. Might sound mad, but it will prevent you from arriving there ravenous, ready to attack the buffet table. Choose something light yet filling before you leave home – anything from a banana to peanut butter on toast.
- If going by car, park the car further away. Walking to the party door will not only help you to burn up some energy, it also gets your blood circulating so that you can be even more alert and energised to enjoy the evening ahead.
- Talk more, eat less. Enjoy conversations, meet new people. You might be amazed at some of the party conversations you get into. Chatting more means you’re likely to focus on having fun, not having calories.
- Pace yourself when it comes to alcohol. The more you drink the less likely you are to keep your resolve to eat sensibly. Try to alternate alcohol with water or unsweetened juice, but remember to avoid sugary soft drinks.
- Buffet food is often fried, but there are plenty of healthy alternatives. Go for chicken without the skin dipped in sweet and sour sauce, rather than a drum stick dipped in sour cream. Check out my yummy oatcakes above, topped with low fat soft cheese, sweet chilli sauce and olives – virtuous and scrumptious!
- Drink lots of water. What’s stopping you filling your wine glass up with sparkling water?
- Dance more, sit less. The more you use up, the more fat gets burnt and the shapelier you will begin to look.
- Walk tall, stand confident. Try this flatter stomach stance:
Improve your posture and flatten that tummy immediately. Pull in your stomach muscles tightly, stand as tall as you can, with your shoulders back, chest up and head high. Try it out in the mirror. Good posture can give you an air of confidence. Do this soon after you leave home, and frequently at the party. Be aware of how you’re standing even when you’re in the depths of a gripping conversation. You never know who might be watching!
More on party tips.